Edwin’s Roadhouse aka Capone’s MIAMI GARDENS
© 2017 National Claim Resources, Inc

Edwin’s Roadhouse aka Miami Gardens

Within these walls once walked some of the most

famous gangsters of all time.

This Prohibition-Era building was erected in the late 1920’s by Henry A. Baumann, Innkeeper and Proprietor. It first opened in 1929 and was strategically located just 45 miles South of Chicago, just 18 miles Southwest of Chicago Heights, just 10 miles West of the Illinois-Indiana state line and just 1 mile North of the Will- Kankakee County line. This location is where the early 20th century mob would find safe harbor, food, entertainment and illegal booze; in a secret location just minutes away from the next legal jurisdiction. From secret tunnels to escape routes, and hidden parking underneath the building, Miami Gardens was built by and for the most famous prohibition era gangster of all times, Mr. Alphonse Gabriel Capone. The upstairs featured 11 rooms with some dedicated to the business of a brothel. A master suite included a custom shower containing 7 shower heads, and unique decor made from nile green porcelain tiles with purple trim. In 1992, William J Helmer , a well known author of several gangland crime books , toured and authenticated this building. Within CaponesMiamiGardens.com, you will learn why we now know this was undoubtedly a true , original Al Capone Roadhouse. John Herbert Dillinger is another well known outlaw and history has it that on March 3rd, 1934, after breaking out of the Crown Point Jail, he escaped to Peotone with hostages, and then on to Miami Gardens to elude capture by the Peotone Posse. Read the full story here. Proprietor Baumann was no stranger to the early 20th Century Outfit. In 1910, his first tavern was located at 432 South Canal Street in Chicago, just one city block away from the first boarding house of Big Jim Colosimo. Baumann was an accomplished brew-master, a trade that later proved more useful to Al Capone during Prohibition, which began in 1920 and lasted until 1933. In 1928, Baumann purchased the tract of land that Edwin’s Roadhouse sits on, and built a huge commercial building that provided as a prime meeting location within Capone’s Chicago Heights Territory and included lodging, gas, dining, entertainment, and illegal booze. In 1992, Rio Burke toured Edwin’s Roadhouse and provided us with first hand accounts about Capone, Nitti and others. Pictured here is the original business card from 1929, front and back, that Baumann would hand out to help guide his special patrons to Miami Gardens; South from Chicago’s inner city, West from Chicago Heights, East from Joliet and North from Kankakee.

THE WISDOM OF

AL CAPONE

by William J Helmer, Prohibition Author

On Sale Here Over The Counter

WWW.THEWISDOMOFALCAPONE.COM

John Dillinger Was Here

Edwin’s Roadhouse aka

Capone’s MIAMI GARDENS

FEATURES: Cold beer, wines and liquors. We have a gaming room with video gaming, a pool table and several TV’s for sports. Gangster Hall tours by appointment only. HOURS We are RE-OPENING on May 29th AT 10AM Hours are 10AM - 10AM Daily. Outdoor seating is limited. TEL: 708-258-3393 ADDRESS: 31851 S Rte 50, Peotone, IL 60468
Edwin’s Roadhouse aka Capone’s MIAMI GARDENS

Edwin’s Roadhouse aka

Miami Gardens

Within these walls once walked some of

the most famous gangsters of all time.

This Prohibition-Era building was erected in the late 1920’s by Henry A. Baumann, Innkeeper and Proprietor. It first opened in 1929 and was strategically located just 45 miles South of Chicago, just 18 miles Southwest of Chicago Heights, just 10 miles West of the Illinois-Indiana state line and just 1 mile North of the Will-Kankakee County line. This location is where the early 20th century mob would find safe harbor, food, entertainment and illegal booze; in a secret location just minutes away from the next legal jurisdiction. From secret tunnels to escape routes, and hidden parking underneath the building, Miami Gardens was built by and for the most famous prohibition era gangster of all times, Mr. Alphonse Gabriel Capone. The upstairs featured 11 rooms with some dedicated to the business of a brothel. A master suite included a custom shower containing 7 shower heads, and unique decor made from nile green porcelain tiles with purple trim. In 1992, William J Helmer , a well known author of several gangland crime books , toured and authenticated this building. Within CaponesMiamiGardens.com, you will learn why we now know this was undoubtedly a true , original Al Capone Roadhouse. John Herbert Dillinger is another well known outlaw and history has it that on March 3rd, 1934, after breaking out of the Crown Point Jail, he escaped to Peotone with hostages, and then on to Miami Gardens to elude capture by the Peotone Posse. Read the full story here. Proprietor Baumann was no stranger to the early 20th Century Outfit. In 1910, his first tavern was located at 432 South Canal Street in Chicago, just one city block away from the first boarding house of Big Jim Colosimo. Baumann was an accomplished brew-master, a trade that later proved more useful to Al Capone during Prohibition, which began in 1920 and lasted until 1933. In 1928, Baumann purchased the tract of land that Edwin’s Roadhouse sits on, and built a huge commercial building that provided as a prime meeting location within Capone’s Chicago Heights Territory and included lodging, gas, dining, entertainment, and illegal booze. In 1992, Rio Burke toured Edwin’s Roadhouse and provided us with first hand accounts about Capone, Nitti and others. Pictured here is the original business card from 1929, front and back, that Baumann would hand out to help guide his special patrons to Miami Gardens; South from Chicago’s inner city, West from Chicago Heights, East from Joliet and North from Kankakee.

THE WISDOM OF AL

CAPONE

by William J Helmer, Prohibition Author

On Sale Here Over The Counter

WWW.THEWISDOMOFALCAPONE.COM

John Dillinger Was Here

Edwin’s Roadhouse aka

Capone’s MIAMI GARDENS

FEATURES: Cold beer, wines and liquors. We have a gaming room with video gaming, a pool table and several TV’s for sports. Gangster Hall tours by appointment only. HOURS We are RE-OPENING on May 29th AT 10AM Hours are 10AM - 10AM Daily. Outdoor seating is limited. TEL: 708-258-3393 ADDRESS: 31851 S Rte 50, Peotone, IL 60468
© 2017 National Claim Resources, Inc.